r
Royal West of England Academy of Art

We were commissioned by the RWA to make improvements to the magnificent Victorian galleries. The building which opened in 1858 is Grade II* listed and was the city's first public art gallery. The challenge was to find a method of improving the galleries without detrimental impacts on these nationally significant interiors.

A particular problem was the need to improve the environmental conditions in the major spaces to accommodate more sensitive art works and loans from the national collections in particular.

The majority of the works were funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. We took the opportunity to convert the old picture store in the basement into a new gallery space.